The Live Help (now Chatstack) v3.90 and above supports IP City level location detection. We support the MaxMind GeoLite Legacy City (free) and MaxMind GeoIP City (paid with higher accuracy) databases. These databases are not included with the Chatstack downloads (due to the size of the database) so you will need to download the latest database from the MaxMind web site.
Some builds within Chatstack v5.6 support the new MaxMind Binary database. Please check option #2 if you can install this newer version of the MaxMind database. Starting from January 2, 2019 all Chatstack customers will need to migrate and use the new MaxMind GeoLite2 databases. The following instructions are for installing the MaxMind databases.
MaxMind Legacy GeoLite Database (Chatstack v5.6 build 7310 and below)
- Please check you are running Chatstack v5.6 build 7310 or below. This Chatstack version or below doesn’t support the new GeoIP2 databases. You must use the GeoIP Legacy database files with these earlier versions of Chatstack.
- Download the MaxMind GeoLite Legacy City database at GeoLite City (Approx. 18MB)
- Unzip the file on your local PC, you can use a free tool like 7zip for unzipping the GeoLiteCity.dat.gz file.
- Upload the GeoLiteCity.dat file to the /livehelp/plugins/maxmind/ directory. The file is approximately 30MB so this may take some time.
- The GeoLite database should be located at /livehelp/plugins/maxmind/GeoLiteCity.dat when finished uploading.
MaxMind GeoLite2 Binary Database (Chatstack v5.6 build 7360 and above)
- Please check you are running Chatstack v5.6 build 7360 or above.
- Your Chatstack installation should have the /livehelp/plugins/maxmind/geoip2/ folder. If this /maxmind/geoip2/ folder doesn’t exist then you need to install the Legacy database as detailed above.
- Download the MaxMind GeoLite2 City database at GeoLite2 City (Approx. 25MB)
- Unzip the file on your local PC, you can use a free tool like 7zip for unzipping the GeoLite2-City.tar.gz file.
- Upload the GeoLite2-City.mmdb file and licensing files to the /livehelp/plugins/maxmind/geoip2/data/ directory. The file is approximately 58MB so this may take some time.
- The GeoLite2 database should be located at /livehelp/plugins/maxmind/geoip2/data/GeoLite2-City.mmdb when finished uploading.
Note: The GeoIP locations for your browsing site visitors will only start appearing for any new site visitors and / or chats. Existing visitors or chats from before uploading the MaxMind database won’t show any location data.
The MaxMind GeoLite and GeoLite2 databases are updated each month (normally on the 1st of each month) so you can replace this file every month to ensure you are using the most accurate location data. Further details on the MaxMind GeoLite City database is available at http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity or https://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/